I tried to make a video, and... it's pretty hard. I have a newfound respect for the great YouTube channels out there. I put together a list of great developer YouTube channels below. I'll also be interviewing experts over the coming months.
Interview with SJ, Senior Manager of Developer community at HubSpot.
Speaking with SJ was amazing. She's a legend in the developer community space and I gained so much insight. A lot of what we talked about was SJ's experiences scaling developer tools so I recommend checking out the full episode.
- It's important to get yourself into the headspace of a developer.
- In the early days of building a community you're trying to find those passionate users, leaning into their feedback is extremely important.
- Building in diverse developer voices from the get-go will be a big differentiator for you versus all of the other developer tools out there.
- Ensure that you're providing as much value as possible to the developer group before you try to extract anything
- Using Common Roomhttps://www.commonroom.io/ for community management
Great Developer YouTube channels
- Square Developers - Mr. Rogers/Sesame Street meets developer education tutorials. Really cool aesthetic but also very clear explanations
- Firebase - my personal favourite because I learned so much from it. They're just the right balance of fun and educational. I think their old stuff was particularly great.
- Simon Swiss tailwind videos - Simon's style is funny but very informative
Which other channels are great? Let us know